Photos

Monday, October 24, 2016

Week 9





Hola!

Today is my "birthday" in the mission (every month on the 24th) and it is my official two months in the mission today! Woo!
Hermana Josie, Hermana Bird and Hermana Guitierrez all made me a cute poster and gave me a flag of PR and put it on my wall, so that was a nice surprise.

This week has been pretty crazy!
-So I am not entirely sure what's going on with the Hurricane, but last week we felt the effects of it, BIGTIME. I have never seen it rain so hard in my entire life than here. The power was out for about 3 days and left us with no AC one night, but all is well. It was an adventure that's for sure. I learned that people here are really superstitious about the rain and thunder and lightening, and it sometimes makes contacting hard because no one wants to let you in because you're wet, or because they are scared of the lightning. But what's the update with the hurricane? As a missionary I have no idea what's going on in the world hahaha.
-Our investigators:
So I don't remember how much I told you all about Richie, but he is like 80 years old, he was in the marines his entire life, and has tons of tattoos and is one of the funniest people I have ever met. He truly is one of a kind. We've been teaching him ever since I got here and he loves coming to church. ( He came again yesterday!)  We had bit of an experience with him last week, because we would schedule a lesson and a time to go to his house, but we would arrive at his house and he wouldn't be there, and he doesn't have a phone so we always kind of hope he is there. But every day he was gone, so that was really hard. We kept praying and praying and praying that we would find him and each day was unsuccessful.
Saturday was a really rough day because two of our investigators told us they didn't want to be taught anymore, we contacted for hours, and didn't sit down at all until later in the day, and every person we contacted didn't want to hear what we had to say, and we had a lesson with Saydee scheduled, and she cancelled, and all the lessons we had planned with members this week didn't work out. Hermana Josie and I sat down on this curb and both of us we're kind of down, and I prayed that something could lift our spirits and that we could have the courage to keep going. 30 seconds later, this old man comes out of his house and says," Hey! do you guys want some soda?!" I started laughing and almost started crying because Heavenly Father knows us and our needs and knows what we're going through. It was crazy. But things like that happen every day. 
After we drank our soda, we prayed that Richie would be in his house, so we walked to his house and his door was open and there he was! I was so happy to see him. His baptism is this Saturday and I am SO excited.
-Saydee is 25 and she is married with two kids. Her kids are THE CUTEST things. We've been teaching her as long as I've been here as well, and she is one of the best investigators I've ever met so far. She loves reading the book of mormon and always asks us to give her another chapter to read. She's really receptive to the spirit and loves learning about the gospel. I have faith that she'll get baptized! we're working on getting her to church and for her husband to start taking the lessons with her. We went to their house last week and we taught her, and then they offered to have us stay for dinner! We had lasagna and it was amazing. Her husband cooked it and we were able to really bond with him and talk to him. I am really hoping she'll come to church on Sunday. Her little boy Alex, who is 9, loves to pray. And so does her daughter Shaydalis who is 3. Prayers from little kids are the cutest things. Especially in spanish. I am so teaching my children spanish.

Other things:
- I was asked to give a talk on sunday about missionary work in my ward! AHHHH. Crazy.
-people here are still so confused about my race haha. Also Puerto Ricans have a ton of their own lingo and they pronounce their R's like french R's. 

But I am going to try and see if I can send pictures! AH i am sorry it is so confusing.
But one more thing!
If you have any time PLEASE help the missionaries in your wards by going to their lessons with them!

Love you all!
Hermana Verde

Hermana Green's Apartment

My Study Desk

At the Dominican Republic MTC

View from the Dominican Republic Mission Training Center

No comments:

Post a Comment