Photos

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Week 59




Hi there! I am here to finish my story. Sorry if I kept you on your toes all week, haha!

I want to start by saying, I know, more than ever that Heavenly Father knows what's truly best for me.

So, in continuation of my story or journey, the other sisters had left the island on Saturday and the nineteen of us remaining were there until Tuesday.  We had so many great experiences during this extra time we had, while waiting for our flight clearance to come, like Sacrament Meeting, bonding even more with each other, etc...  What was hard was just how we thought we were going to be leaving, we'd get ready, and then we'd get a call saying we weren't leaving.  That got rough after two false starts, and Hermana Holton and Nottingham and I could see that the positivity of the remaining Hermanas was going down.  So, Monday night, we decided to plan a Family Home Evening that would help us remember the miracles, and the positivity of this situation.  It turned out great and it was something I'll never forget.  It was cute, as well, because President and Hermana Smart just got to relax and put their minds on something else.  It was really good, and what we wanted to help them understand (including ourselves) was that this is all in God's plan.   I think, even despite everything that had happened, the Spirit had blessed and comforted me with understanding.  I knew that even despite all the pain and sadness I had been feeling, I understood that this was all part of His plan.  It was part of His plan to have a hurricane hit, to do damage, and to have us all learn from this experience.  It was part of His plan to reassign us even before we sent in our mission papers.  Of course, we had no idea this was ever going to take place, but you know what? It doesn't matter, I trust in my God with all my heart!!

I KNOW without any doubt that Puerto Rico is beginning a brighter future and this is just the beginning of many miracles to come.  I know that Heavenly Father doesn't give us anything we can't handle, and at times we are not going to see the full view, but we just have to trust that He knows more than us, and that he knows what he's doing.

We finally left on Tuesday, and another miracle was about to happened.  When we were going through to get on the charter jet, they had my name wrong, so they pulled me to the side, and long story short, I almost didn't get on the plane, but they were kind enough and understood the situation and they let me go on!  I was the last one on the plane before President and Hermana Smart got on.  When I got on the plane all the sisters clapped and yelled saying, "YOU MADE IT YAY" It was an exciting time.  Hermana Smart told me that it they didn't let me on the plane that she would've stayed with me, I LOVE her!  As we were taking off, that was very hard.  As we looked out the window, Puerto Rico was unrecognizable.  I remember landing 12 months ago, and seeing green everywhere, now it was brown.  I sat by Hermana Nottingham and Holton (I was in the MTC with both of them) and we all got very emotional, and then we were on our way to Florida.  We landed, and I said, "Gracia's" to one of the people that worked by the jet and they said, "uh, I don't speak Spanish", welcome back, Hermana Green! Haha.  That was weird, hearing English again like all the time, but we were immediately welcomed by a couple of other senior couples from other missions and they were yelling out room numbers for the hotel we were staying in that night.  When everyone got their info, President Smart requested that we sing, "Para Siempre Dios Este con Vos" (God be with you til we meet again).  That was a very emotional song, seeing that some of us were going to be separating that night and there wasn't going to be much time for goodbyes.  We couldn't sing majority of the song because the entire group of Elders and Sisters were all crying, and I had a perfect view of Hermana Smart and she was crying, and that made me keep crying.  We got on the buses, and went to the hotel.  We called our parents briefly later that night, and it was nice talking to them and letting them know we were OK.

We woke up the next morning, and I only saw a couple people because all of our flights were on different schedules.  I left the hotel at 8 AM and was lucky enough to have said good bye to some of my closest friends I've made on the mission like, Hermana Zimmerman, Elder Murillo, Elder Bradford, Hermana Nottingham, and Hermana Holton.  I luckily had Hermana Post and Hermana Rodriguez coming with me, and other Elders I knew as well.  There were about 20 of us that went from Florida, to Atlanta, Georgia.  One miracle that happened was while we were waiting in Atlanta, Hermana Rodriguez and I decided to go to the MAC makeup store because I wanted to buy some lipstick to make me feel better (haha) so, we did!  While in the store, a lady said, "sisters" and it was a member of the church!  We started talking to her and told her of our situation and told her where we were reassigned to go serve, and she says, "I live in Orem" and she wrote down her number and told me if I ever wanted dinner, that I could eat with their family.  It was super cool.  There was a handful of people who stopped and talked to us by the gate too.

We got to Utah, and as we were going down the escalator, we saw all of these cameras and news channels.  My first thought was "Wow I wonder who they're here for."  Then I realized, they're filming us, "Oh." I thought.  I probably just looked really confused because I had no idea who my Mission Presidents looked like, and I was carrying around a bag of Chick-Fil-A and probably just looked lost, Hahaha.  Luckily The Killpack’s found us and the three of us (Elder Juarez, Elder Garza, and I) got out of there.  Hermana Post came with us too, because her Mission Presidents were picking her up at the Killpack’s house, what a blessing to have been with her.

We were fed good food, and got a good night's sleep, and then our missionary life resumed that next day with zone conference.   President Killpack kept me as a Sister Training Leader, so we also had MLC (mission leadership conference, like zone conference but with only the leadership), and I gave my first 15-minute training for my zone that following Thursday at our combined district meeting for our zone.  So, I've been pretty busy. And that was the end of all the craziness and adventure that was Hurricane Maria.

I want all of you to know that I am okay, and I am adjusting good.  The mission has been so loving and kind.  The Killlpack’s are incredible and have done so much for us and have taken us in like their own.  I have seen miracle after miracle and have received a personal witness and testimony of this trial, and I knew that I was supposed to be here the second we got into Orem.  My dear loved ones, we are going to have trials that make your world seem like it's falling apart, but it's in those moments where we can use the testimony and faith we have in the Savior, Jesus Christ, to find peace as we trust in Him. We don't have to allow ourselves to suffer more than we need to, because He already did for us.  The Atoning sacrifice that the Savior did for us gives us the ability, mental, emotional, physical and spiritual strength that will help us keep going when life gets hard.  That healing and strengthening power of the Atonement is what has got me through this trial.  So, keep holding on.  Keep trusting in that glorious plan our Father in Heaven has for us.  I KNOW without a doubt that this is part of my plan, all of it, and it has been an interesting part of my plan, but I know that this is helping refine and mold me to become even better.  I know that in the end, it truly doesn't matter where I am asked to serve, because the one thing that matters is that I get to serve in this great work of the Lord that is constantly moving forward.  I will go and I will do, over mountain, plain, or sea. I will find my purpose here. I will continue to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. And I will triumph!

I am grateful for your love. I can't wait to personally thank each of you, but for now, Just thank you!

So, I'd like to start off this email wishing a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my lovely sister, Tina.  Tomorrow is her birthday, and she's the best.  I love you, sister!!  Thanks for being a role model in my life. Thanks Mimi and Penelope for that surprise Princess Party you gave my sister!  You’re the best!!

Spiritual experiences in Orem.  Well with some of my investigators I already feel as though they are part of the reason why I am supposed to be here.  The people, it's all about the people.  They feel like family already.  I have grown in appreciation and love for the Spanish language even more while I've been here in Orem.  It's kind of like my comfort blanket of normalness in this weird culture shock i’m currently in,  haha!  One miracle was last Thursday, we got to go to the PROVO CITY CENTER TEMPLE (that was a dream come true), and the person I was doing the work for was named Esther Green, now what are the odds, right!?!
I've just seen so many miracles. I've received trash bag after trash bag of clothes for me.  In one night, word had gotten out that I was coming to the mission in Orem with essentially no clothes, and people just kept delivering bags of clothes to our doorstep, for like five days straight!  Someone even flagged down our car and stopped us to ask me if I needed any clothes, and a lady paid for my purchase in Target when my card wouldn't work – I was so grateful for these tender mercies from the Lord.



Reunited with Hermana Josie at General Conference!

I was fortunate to be able to go to General Conference, and I was lucky enough to see Hermana Pearce (now Sarah) and Hermana Martinez (now Preslie) and Hermana Josie (now Kirstin).  Such a blessing.  Just so many blessings, I am very humbled by all the blessings and love I have felt.
Companions! So, I am currently in a trio with Hermana Macias and Hermana Cazares (they speak Spanish and English), but transfers are this week, and President Killpack is keeping me as an Sister Trainer Leader.  I am finishing the training of Hermana Cazares, and we are both staying in Pleasant Grove (Garden 11th Ward), whitewashing the area - fun stuff!  The new transfer starts Wednesday, and Hermana Macias is done with her Mission and going home. I am still teaching in Spanish, but also English.

I have a tablet, now.  Technology feels weird, after not having it for thirteen months, but I have to use Facebook now for teaching and everything is online, it's weird, but yay technology?  I'm really not used to it, haha.   I can look at my emails during the week, I just can't reply till Monday, which BY THE WAY I WANT TO REPLY TO ALL OF YOU EACH WEEK AND I AM SO SORRY IF I CAN'T, I AM JUST SO BUSY BUT KNOW I ENJOY AND APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR LETTERS!

I got the first suitcase you sent of clothes and supplies, and I loved EVERYTHING.  MY FAMILY IS THE BEST, such homies!!  I especially loved all the notes from the Mile Square Park Ward members - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  The outfits are great, and everything fits, yeah!!!


General Conference was GREAAAAAT.  We took our 13-year-old investigator Leslie! It was so cool.  It was exactly what I needed.


Mom and Dad, thank you for your nice words, I am happy. I loved the Spiritual thoughts you sent.  Avalon actually recommended that same talk by Elder Bednar and I had been reading that talk when you sent your Spiritual thought! #twoworldsonefamily

Today we had a zone activity, we hiked Battle Creek Falls and had a game of kickball and ate Carne Asada. I'm in the Spanish zone in my mission so we are the only people that speak Spanish, it's great. I love everyone already!!  Oh, cool thing, well actually two.  We’re going to the temple on Halloween, and we have a fireside in November and SHERRI DEW AND VOCALPOINT ARE COMING?????  I am so stoked.

Zone Activity!

The View from our Hike to Battle Creek Falls.

Well that’s all I have time for!  I love you all and I’m grateful for the miracles and tender mercies the Lord has placed in my life.  I am so happy, and know if I keep putting my trust and faith in the Lord, I will continue to be blessed!

-Hermana Kali Rae Green

Horchata with Hermana Peter!! Heavenly!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment