Photos

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Week 68





What a week! I can't believe we get to talk so soon!

Spiritual experiences:

Well, Heavenly Father works in mysterious ways, but they are always perfect and not so mysterious, once we realize the way He works.  Hermana Laurie and I were knocking on some doors, trying to visit some old investigators from our area book, but none of them answered.  I told Hermana Laurie that we should go visit Jai's family since they lived just a couple houses down.  As we were walking, all of a sudden we hear this giant car honk, we look, and it's Sister Holland (Jai's grandma), she's one of the greatest women I've ever met.  We went over to go talk to her, and said hello and asked her how she was doing, she started bawling and said she had been praying for Heavenly Father to send her some comfort and understanding.  She continued and told us about how Bob, her husband, passed away unexpectedly just a night before. They had only been married for a couple of months, and he was the one that confirmed Jai.  We showed her the "Light the World" video, and testified of the Plan of Salvation, and talked her through a couple of things.  It was a very tender moment with her.  As we were walking away, I remembered that morning, I had prayed that Hermana Laurie and I could be an answer to some one's prayer that day.  I completely forgot about that, but what's cool is that Heavenly Father didn't.  He doesn't forget about His children, even if we might.

Another spiritual experience happened exactly a week ago today.  To start off, I am so grateful for the spiritual thoughts Dad sends me each week.  I have found that they are so applicable to that week and that Heavenly Father works through different people in my life to teach me and help me.  Last week, Dad wrote about Charity the pure love of Christ.  One thing that stuck out to me in his Spiritual thought, was how we need to "pray with all the energy of heart" for the gift of charity, just like the Book of Mormon prophet, Moroni asks us to do.  Later that night, we were going to visit a reference we had received from a member.  We knocked, a woman probably in her 60s, answered the door, and let us in.  Her husband was sitting on the couch, and we introduced ourselves and had a little chit chat with them.  The man (his name is Tino), when we walked in, asked us in a bit snarkily way, "what, are you selling chocolates or something?" and I replied, "not exactly, but it's better than chocolate."  Once he recognized our Church name on our tags, he wasn't too fond of listening to us, and started making rude remarks about our Church.  He even said at one point, "your Church doesn't like Mexicans" and I said, "sir, I am Mexican", haha!!  After a bit more comments from him, he ended with, "you little girls are just very closed off from the world and don't really know your Church."  It was at that point where I could feel heat in my face start to rise, and my patience was starting to be lowered.  Right at that moment, I remembered the line from Dad's email that morning about charity, and I just started praying, and praying and praying with all my heart for this man.  I remember distinctly thinking in my head, Heavenly Father, please help me have charity for this man.  Please let me feel the love you have for him.  Please let me see him as you see him, and help me look at his eternal potential."  And man, did I pray with all the energy of my tiny heart, haha!!  I then felt the soothing words and confirmation of the Spirit come into my head, saying, "he is just another lost sheep, waiting to be brought home.  Remember that, and have patience with him."  I then realized that he too was just trying to find his way home, and that our calling is to be like the Savior, and act as he did.  We showed the "Light the World" video, and I began to feel love for this man, actual, Christ-like love.  I no longer felt offended.  He later, explained how he felt like he didn't have any more faith in Jesus Christ because of experiences he has been going through.  And as he said that, I looked at him, smiled, and was reminded of a promised blessing pronounced upon me in a Priesthood blessing given to me by Elder Ruiz, one of my zone leaders, that said, "I would have the gift of seeing people as our Heavenly Father does."  Remembering that thought, I said, "Hermano Tino, no one is ever too far from the loving arms of Jesus Christ.  "We shared a scripture, testified of our calling, and ended up having a powerful lesson.  We even got him laughing at a couple of jokes we made.  At the end of the lesson, we were about to say the prayer, and we asked him if there was anything he would like us to pray for.  He replied, with some tears in his eyes, to pray for his son.  It was incredible to see the change of heart I had, and the change of heart he had, all because of charity.  It was a valuable lesson learned that even the hardest of hearts can change.  Thank you, Dad, for helping me learn that.

Investigators:
So life is about to get EVEN BUSIER because now since both of my wonderful zone leaders are leaving this mission next week, (Elder Juarez is going back to Puerto Rico, and Elder Ruiz is finishing his 2 years as a missionary and going home) we are getting their area, with all their investigators and their ward.  We are so excited!  And kinda nervous, haha!!  But we are excited to work more and harder.  They have a TON of investigators all with baptismal dates and potential!  I am humbled at the trust Heavenly Father has in our companionship, I also question how my sanity is going to be, haha, but all is well!!  More updates will come next week, haha!!

We are also teaching English lessons to this couple from Argentina, Gustavo and Claudia.  They aren't interested a whole ton in our message, but hoping that by loving them and teaching them English, they will feel something :)

I am so beyond happy for the 14 elders that get to go back to Puerto Rico!  I know without a DOUBT that these elders were called by revelation and are the ones to start preparing the way for these wonderful people in Puerto Rico.  Many tears were shed thinking about the wonderful reunions that would happen between these elders, President and Hermana Smart, and most importantly, the people of Puerto Rico.  What a beautiful Christmas gift for Puerto Rico.  MY heart is so full, and I know that The Lord has prepared everyone involved, especially the people.  I am so excited to see what's in store for everyone there.  These elders have my full, 100 percent trust, and I have heard of a couple who are going, two that were in the MTC with me, Elder Bradford and Elder Juarez, I am just so happy!!  I would be lying, if I didn't say that I wish I could go help too.  But, I know I am supposed to be here.  If the Lord needs me here, I will work my hardest here, helping the wonderful people here in Orem.  If he called me back, then I would go and work hard there.  It really doesn't matter at the end of the day, where I am called to serve.  All that matters to me, is that I get to wake up, put my tag on, and serve, because it's His work, NOT OURS!!  He knows best, and sees what we can not see, simple as that!!

Mom, we've been handing out the nativities and wrist bands you sent me.  Everyone loves the nativities, but I couldn't take any credit for them, so I tell everyone you did it, and now even more people think you're really cool and want to meet you.  So far, I've given the nativities to my district, and I plan on giving some to investigators, members, and I sent one with Elder Juarez to give to President and Sister Smart, and I am going to give one to the Killpacks this Friday at our Zone Conference.  This makes me feel really happy bringing a physical gift along side the normal best gift of the gospel.  Thanks for being the best Mom, and we haven't put up the Christmas decorations you sent yet, but we are doing that tonight!

Last week I had the great opportunity to go on exchanges with Hermana Orjuela! It was a blast and she helped me a lot!  Additionally, we had MLC, and CDM, all such amazing meetings.  I gave a 25 minute training on President Killpack's training he gave at MLC.  It's like taking notes on the Prophet's talk and having to present it exactly the same passion, no pressure, Haha!!  Today we had a zone activity!  We played dodge ball, UNO, and a bunch of other types of sports games, and ate pizza, it was a blast!!

Mission Leadership Council!
My Zone!

This week I get to go on exchanges with Hermana Zayas in American Fork. I'm stoked.  Also, this week we have our Zone Conference, on Friday.  We will be training, and President and Sister Killpack will be there, and we will have a Zone Christmas party with a white elephant exchange (I bought a whisk) with Christmas stuff and food.  Our district is singing ,"Silent Night".  Speaking of singing, I will be singing a duet in Sister Panton' s ward this Sunday!  We're singing a really pretty arrangement of, "What Child is This".  I'm really excited!!

Tender mercies... I thought I would share with you some tender mercies I have seen this past week from the Lord.  1) after having fasted for new investigators, we found 7 in one day.  2) God has finally granted me confidence in my self-esteem, I feel beautiful, and I've been waiting for this all my life, it feels so good.  Now I'm not perfect and I still have things to work on, but I think I am in a very good place right now.  3) no one planned on feeding us on Christmas day, or 5 other days on the month, and they all got filled.  4) I became a Spanish tutor this week and an English teacher, HAHA.  5) the talks in sacrament meeting were EXACTLY what I needed to hear.

Spanish Tutoring with Tyler Panton and our little buddy Ryan!

Hermana Green & Laurie Love Orem!

That's all for now.  I had a grand week, and life is good.  Keep on Lighting the World!

Hermana Kali Rae Green

No comments:

Post a Comment