Photos

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Week 5



Hermana Green, Hermana Holton & Hermana Erskine
Hola! 

Last Day in the Dominican Republic Mission Training Center WHAT!!!!!!

I cannot BELIEVE that I only have a couple days left in the mtc! This is crazy. On Tuesday I wake up at 4 am to go to the airport to go to PUERTO RICOOOOOOOOOO. This is crazy. Life is so weird. I feel like I just got here but I also feel like my life before the mtc was just a dream hahahahahahaha. But seriously though.  I've made so many amazing friends, teachers, and President and Sister Romney have been sosososo incredible and have treated me like one of their own. I am sad to leave, but excited to start my new adventure! 

I ate squid. The whole body. Tentacles and all. Just on my plate. (wasn't too bad not gonna lie.)  So the cool thing about this mtc is that we get to go on splits and go proselyting out in the field twice! We went last Friday for the first time, and a couple days ago on Tuesday. Both days and experiences made me SO excited for the field! You really never know what's going to happen haha. For example:
The churros are AMAZING. They are better than Disneyland AND Costco churros, and that's saying something. 
There are a lot of stray dogs, cats, and chickens. On Tuesday my companion and I were out walking in this neighborhood and this chicken started following us for a while. It was kinda scary haha.I also saw a three legged dog. Weird.

Out of both days we didn't teach a lot of lessons, but we got probably around 4 lessons in. It was so cool to actually be out in the field with real life investigators and not just our teachers with wigs on haha. But last Friday, we were in one of/if not the most poor areas here in Santo Domingo. To give you and idea of what it looks like, there's piles and piles and piles of trash, a lot of homeless people and families, and if they do have a home, it's extremely small. Not to mention that in order to make your way around the neighborhoods, you had to duck and squeeze through small alleyways, and watch out for motorcycles speeding down the alleys. Power lines are super sketchy, they're in tons and tons and tons of knots so we get power outages a lot here. We went to go teach this one woman and she invited us in, and her house was big enough to fit her stove, and two beds. I almost started crying because I immediately thought of my home, and how lucky I was to even have one, let alone one that was able to withstand weather, and provide for my family. Being out here really makes you appreciate all that you have. (not that I didn't before, but you get the idea). But, these people, are the most humble people I've ever met. They are happy, friendly, and are very open to listening to the gospel. With every lesson we were in, it was incredible to see how they changed when we start talking about the First Vision. You can see the change happen almost instantly in their eyes. They become more attentive, and the spirit is so strong. I have never felt the Spirit stronger than I did in that lesson, it felt even stronger hearing it in Spanish. 
All of these experiences have made me so excited to go start meeting people in Puerto Rico. I know without a doubt that this is where I am supposed to be right now in my life. This last month has been life-changing, and I am slowly seeing myself become the person I've always wanted to be.
MISSIONS ARE SO COOL. 
And General Conference is this week!!!!!! AHHHHH. 
I can't wait to watch it.
I hope you all have a wonderful week, and thank you for all your love and support! 

Love always,
Hermana Green.


This is an excerpt of Kali's Email to Gary & I.

We Asked Kali the question.  What have you learned in the 5 1/2 weeks of being in the MTC?

What have I learned most? Oh goodness.. many things. but the things that stick out to me are these
  1. Have Faith in Christ and in myself
  2. Listen to the promptings of the Spirit. I learned that half the time we get promptings from the spirit, we wont even realize until after that they were from the spirit at all, but as long as we act upon the thoughts and promptings we receive, and are obedient, then all will work out.
  3. In order to be an effective missionary/member of the church, you HAVE to convert yourself first. Having a testimony builds the foundation for full conversion. It's insane how immersed I am in the gospel. 
  4. Setting aside time for scripture study really helps me feel the spirit throughout the day. You and dad should do it together! 
  5. I've received revelation in the temple. Super cool.
  6. I've learned a ton of patience. To let things go, don't sweat the small stuff, it's not worth it. Take deep breaths and love everyone.

OH I forgot to include in my group email but I sang Where Can I Turn for Peace a solo again making it the fourth time I have sang in sacrament hahaha. But I really hope I can share the gospel through my talents!

I am so beyond excited for conference! and to preach the gospel! ALSO I BALWED LIKE A BABY WATCHING THE JOSEPH SMITH MOVIE THAT I HAVE SOMEHOW NEVER SEEN BEFORE. I BAWLED.

I cant wait to hear from you!! 
Love you both.

Pday at the Dominican Republic Temple

The 3 Amigas
Hermana Garcia & Hermana Green (Hermana Garcia is One of Kali's Teachers at the DR MTC)
Hermana Garcia contacted me on Facebook and said Hermana Green Is a very
Special Missionary. Hermana Green will be serving with Hermana Garcia's
Sister for her first 6 Weeks when she gets to Puerto Rico.
Hermana Holton, Hermana Garcia (MTC Trainer) Hermana Green
and Hermana Erskine.

Hermana Green and Hermana Holton will be going to Puerto Rico together.
Sister Erskine will be staying in the DR














No comments:

Post a Comment