Photos

Monday, January 1, 2018

Week 71


Feliz Año Nuevo a todos!

I hope you all had a wonderful New Year's and are enjoying all the festivities.  Can't believe it's 2018 already, crazy!  But I'm so excited to start a new year and to continue applying the things I've learned so far on my mission.

You know, there are just some families that you meet on your mission, that you know you were supposed to meet.  That happened last night at dinner with the Arancibia family.  They are in the Elders' area and they heard Hermana Laurie was from Chile so they invited us over to eat with them, because they're also from Chile.  They have a son right now on a mission and Hermana Arancibia was sharing with us, all these miracles and stories their family has had ever since their son has been on his mission.  She just has so much love for missionaries and the whole night her, and her husband were just so grateful that we were having dinner with them.  One thing Hermano Arancibia said was, "having you sisters over is such an honor.  It's like inviting the Savior over into our house and having him eat with us."  I was taken back by his comment and felt such overwhelming love and gratitude for him and his family.

The Arancibia Familia
Another spiritual experience was a couple of days ago, at the Bishop' s house, but it starts a little earlier than that.  I don't remember if I mentioned this a couple weeks back, but while eating at Costa Vida one night, a man came up to Hermana Laurie and I and gave us $100 and then left.  We both decided that we wanted to give the money to a family that needed it in the Ward.  We talked to the Bishop and he said he would think of someone that was in need.  We went to his house on Saturday night and he gave us the name of a family who is very self-sufficient, and humble.  The husband had an infection in his mouth and had all of his teeth removed.  They work multiple jobs, and have a pretty big family.  He told us more things that just touched our hearts and we knew that we needed to give them the money.  The Bishop was shocked at our willingness to just hand it over, and it brought me back to seeing my parents example of how being charitable and giving to others brings a lot more happiness than keeping the material things, like money, for ourselves.  So, thank you, Mom and Dad for teaching me that lesson long, long ago.  We put the money in a little card, and signed it  anonymously - #Light the World hasn't stopped! It's only just the beginning!

So, TRANSFERS: I am staying in my current area and Hermana ZAYAS is going to be my new and last companion!  I am so excited!  I think Heavenly Father has a sense of humor, because with this new companionship, I have now been companions with all the Sisters in my Zone, and what better way to end my mission, than with a companion who lived in Puerto Rico before her mission!  The Lord is in the details of our lives, my friends!!  Hermana Laurie is heading over to Lehi with Hermana Orjuela.  I'm sad to be separated from her, but excited for her to have new experiences.

I'm going to Miss Serving with Hermana Laurie.
Well, Hermana Zayas and I are going to start the New Year and new transfer by contacting every single investigator on the books.  We also have really big plans for the Ward and Area.  Hermana Laurie and I talked to the Bishop in preparation for our talks we gave yesterday (which went super well!), and had the idea to ask the Ward Council to include missionary work in their personal fasts.  Well, the Bishop liked the idea so much that he invited the entire Ward to do the same!  It was amazing to feel the unity in the Ward.  We also cover 7 other Stakes in our Zone, all of whom we've never visited.  So, we have plans this week to contact and visit each stake President and their High Councilman over missionary work, and get the work flowing here in good old Pleasant Grove.  Hermana Zayas and I are ready to take over the World with Baptisms, haha!! - #goteampuertorico

Tender Mercies this week:
1. We went to the Temple, and saw President and Sister Killpack there!
2. Went to MLC and one of my good friends I've made in the mission, Hermana Urbina, came up to me and gave me a necklace of a bike (representing missionary work) and said, "Merry Christmas!"  I was shocked.  I asked her why she was giving me something when I hadn't done anything for her.  She said, "well we had an extra necklace and my companion and I were thinking of who we could give it to, and we thought of you".
3. I was reminded of my Dad's wonderful example of serving my Grandpa for the last three years, while I was helping Hermana Laurie last Thursday, all day, because she got the stomach flu.  It truly was such a blessing to serve her all day, and to try to do as the Savior would do.
4. Received two new investigator references from a member in our Ward
5. Finally found a less active member we have been looking for ALL TRANSFER, and she was really touched by the #LightTheWorld video, and said, we could come by anytime.

Temple Day with Hermana Zayas, Cazares, Green, Laurie and Elders Brito and Lespin.
Well, in preparation for my upcoming release from the mission, President Killpack asked me to fill out this paper of goals for one year from now, and 5 years from now.  I really like this, and the thing I was focusing on the most, is continuing the progress I've made on my Mission so far, and applying it after the Mission.  Progression doesn't have to stop at the end of my Mission, rather, I've only begun to prepare for the rest of my life.  Dad included a quote by Elder Holland in his spiritual thought yesterday that I really liked, and that is my focus for this New Year in progressing as a disciple of Jesus Christ.  Elder Holland said; "When Christ comes, the members of his Church must look and act like members of His Church are supposed to look and act, if we are to be acceptable to Him.  We must be doing His work and we must be living His teachings.  He must recognize us quickly and easily as truly being His disciples.”  So, that's my goal, to be like Him and to still be recognized as His disciple, with, or without my Missionary Tag.


I Love our Zone!

I loved seeing all the pictures of my cute Puerto Rico families and their Christmas presents you sent.  My favorite part is seeing the framed pictures of me with them in their homes, what wonderful memories.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, for helping me with this Christmas project.  However, I can't even take any credit for it,  because you and Dad worked so hard to put together the packages and mailed them to them, from me.  That's the best Christmas present I have received, so thank you!

Last week I had MLC, CDM and a mission activity.  The two meetings went really well, and I gave my 20 minute training on how the Atonement is the central to our purpose as missionaries.  The entire point of missionary work is to help others, "receive the message of the restored gospel".  Gospel, means, "good news" and if we look in the Bible dictionary under, "gospels" it says that, "the good news is that Christ has made an infinite Atonement".  So, we are helping others receive the ATONEMENT.  Why? Because it is the ONLY way we will be able to return happily, as families to our loving Father in Heaven.  Salvation is personal, and we alone are responsible for our own sins, and the only way to be cleansed of those sins is through the Atonement.  This knowledge is way too important to be kept just as a testimony in our hearts.  Heavenly Father knew that, so he sends missionaries all around the world to help others develop faith in Jesus Christ and His ATONEMENT.  I don't think it's coincidence the placement of the word, "Atonement" in our missionary purpose statement either.  "Our purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel. Through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement,  repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end".  Notice, that the word, "Atonement" is placed right after faith.  It is not after baptism, nor after enduring to the end, but before repentance.  In order for us to truly understand the reason why we repent, get baptized, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end is by understanding WHO Jesus Christ is, and why He did what He did, and what that means personally for each of us.  That's a little bit about what I taught about in my training lesson.  Hope you liked it as much as I did!



Friday night we had our mission new year activity from 5-9.  We met in Thanksgiving Point and met the Killpack's whole family, and then went down the street to the Luminaria, an exhibit full of incredible Christmas lights, and a "Light of the World" outdoor exhibit of Christ's life in statues.  It was so amazing and beautiful!!  We have to go again next year as a family, because It is so beautiful. It was a lot of fun and a night I'll never forget!
Luminaria 2017

Sunday, Hermana Laurie and I spoke in Church.  That was fun, and we got the Ward excited about Missionary Work -Yay!!

This week is the start of my last transfer and I am so excited to work super hard and give everything I can muster, over to the Savior and His work.  I am grateful for all of the love and support I have felt and I am excited to see where this year takes me.

Love you all.

-Hermana Kali Rae Green

No comments:

Post a Comment